October 31, 2008

the 1-2 step guide to: getting nowhere

I take the path almost always traveled
simply for the fact they’re selling road maps,
and throwing bread crumbs
below the old tracks;
but it seams as though this walk of life
is growing stale,
as I can’t decipher the tread from gravel
heads and rolling shale.
a home I know

only by ambiguity.

and, I’ve got to find a better use
for these forks-
the taste of anxiety and metaphor
are all I’ve had for the past four
last suppers on the forest floor;
washing down the taste of hypocrisy
with skeletal apology-
wondering why my company is dead
and I’m the only eulogy
who seems
to hit the nail on the head.

I’m running low on cunning comebacks
for exactly why I’ve yet to back track
these overlapping memories-
but there’s just something in those oaks
I find unusually beautiful

although,
oddly remote.

all along, I’ve been trying to follow
in your footsteps,
but your shoes have proved far too big-
and between the tears
and sour looks
I’ve reached a point of sinking shores
and bridgless brooks.

this is looking
more like before with ever step
I forget for next time-

without any reason why.

putting one foot in front of another
is for agile fairytales:
because all I got was a flat tire
and a painful case of mistrust and failure.
I even sang the song to recreate the atmosphere,
but I’m a little off key
and even a little more lost,
and eve is falling with the awning of frost.

so I stop walking in circles
and try on a square.

making the angles right
didn’t leave me with anymore direction-
because two wrongs
actually make a left
and I left four mistakes along the way
to my own digression.

learning from my past
taught me the discern of alzheimer’s;
five more miles to the smile
I don’t even think I’ve ever met
but wish to find before
yours.

I’ll never get a leg up

without the feet you swept from under me-
and I’ve come to see there’s no tortuise
for me to archetype,
but only the head of hair
you’ve won by while I collected
the 1-2 steps
to getting

nowhere.

No comments: